Monday, November 3, 2008

The refugee school is a small bottom floor apartment with 4 classrooms. Each room should hold 5 people tops but the cram 20 students into each room. They have a small courtyard outside where the kids eat and take their recess break.

I sat in on one of the classes before spending time with the kids. I had a small table and 2 chairs outside where I got to spend time with one kid at a time for 20 minutes. I read to them and I had them read to me. Then I had them write out words and spell some. Most of the kids I had are in 5th or 6th grade but could barely read. During their lunch break 2nd graders that wanted me to teach them the alphabet bombarded me. They already knew it but they wanted to show it off. I just kept seeing kids till 2 then headed back to the American school.

we then got taken on a felucca (Egyptian sail boat) ride by the head librarian and the elementary school Liberian. We didn't got out far we just left the current drag us most of the way, it was a very calm ride; i got alot of pictures. After that we got together with the elementary school librarian's daughter and two of her friends at T.G.I Fridays and i got to talk to them about the school. After dinner the parents headed to the market and we had dessert and headed back to the apartments.

1 comment:

Claudia and George Salinger said...

It sounds like you are getting a good lesson in international relations. I really like your blogs, they are every bit as good as your Dad's....grin

Keep posting I enjoy reading your day to day adventures